Health Canada requires licence holders to retain a sample from each Bulk Lot for at least one year after the last date of sale or provision. Follow the process below to create and retain a Bulk Lot sample.
Required permission(s): production_read, retention_sample_create
- In the Productions module, select a production.
- Select a Bulk Lot. This opens the Bulk Lot's Profile.
- Open the Retained Samples tab.
- Click New. This opens a New Retained Sample modal.
- Enter details about the sample in the fields provided.
- Weight: The weight taken for the sample, in grams.
- Volume: The volume taken for the sample, in millilitres. This field only appears if the Bulk Lot's type is Extract, Topicals, or Edibles - Non-Solids.
- Discrete Units: The number of discrete units taken for the sample. This field only appears if the Bulk Lot is measured in discrete units.
- Location: The location in which the retained sample will be stored. Many licence holders have a designated vault to store retained samples.
- Click Create to save the retained sample and open the new Retained Sample's Profile.
Upon creating a new retained sample, a QA Technician should immediately Label the Sample.
Licence holders must keep the sample until at least a year after the Bulk Lot's last date of sale. However, if the Bulk Lot requires additional testing after all cannabis has been sold or destroyed, a QA Technician can Repurpose Part of the Retained Sample for Further Testing. Once a year has passed, a QA Technician should Destroy the Retained Sample.